Online shopping and the eCommerce way of things have become deeply ingrained into our purchasing behaviors to suit our needs. From a business perspective, too, there is a lot to get into when we talk about the benefits of stores.
Businesses are well aware of that, which is why there are almost 20 million eCommerce websites worldwide. While it’s a huge number, there is no doubt that more such websites are coming up daily.
You can connect with a software development company to get your eCommerce store designed, but if you have a company that’s good enough, there would be no second thoughts on the framework to use – Ruby on Rails.
Recently, Ruby on Rails, or RoR, has been the framework of choice due to its flexibility in creating dynamic and immersive websites with rich visuals. As a result, everyone has been turning to Ruby on Rails for varying requirements, from simple landing pages to highly complex stores in the eCommerce domain.
Despite its popularity, there are a lot of questions about what it brings to the table for eCommerce platforms with Ruby on Rails.
Ruby on Rails eCommerce Framework – What is it?
Ruby on Rails is a web app development framework composed in Ruby, one of the best object-oriented programming languages. It works along the lines of model-view architecture, credited with separating the logic of an app into three different constituents- views, models, and controllers.
This separation allows developers to make changes to either of the three without disrupting the other two application parts. Considering its impact, it won’t be wrong to say that Ruby on Rails has completely revamped the web application development scenario and has boosted overall efficiency.
Now that you know about Ruby on Rails web development let’s look at why it’s an excellent framework for eCommerce web app development.
eCommerce Platforms With Ruby on Rails – The Benefits
With its model-view-controller(MVC) architecture, Ruby on Rails has many features that make it highly popular for eCommerce web app development.
Read on to find out why it’s so good at what it does:
- Open Source
- By nature, Ruby on Rails (RoR) is an open-source web development platform, which means it’s free of cost for everybody. Moreover, given its modular nature, you easily configure its source code per your requirements and bring in new features with the assistance of its accessible developer community.
- Extensive Community Support
- Because Ruby on Rails is a great web app development framework, its popularity translates into the fact that many developers work around the clock with it. Because they are skilled at their tasks, you can be sure that your project will be with secure individuals.
- RoR eCommerce is perfectly executed with its supportive community.
- Easy Coding Procedure
- With RoR’s focus on convention more than configuration, writing code in Ruby on Rails doesn’t rely on manual configuration of every application detail. The biggest help with Rails eCommerce framework is its capability to combine views, models, and controllers with each other and club them into a single bundle.
- This makes it easy to create complex web apps without writing too much code, for that matter. The result is an increased development pace, and developers working on RoR get done with their projects quicker than those working on Java and PHP, also cutting down costs.
- RoR is Very Extensible in Nature
- Given the number of extensibility features it brings for developers, Ruby on Rails facilitates the development of highly scalable eCommerce web applications by any enterprise software development company. To add to it, the features of an RoR web app can be taken further with the RubyGems library, which has reusable components for packaging to be used by developers. Moreover, with gems, the app can always stay up-to-date with enhanced features simultaneously.
- RoR also plays its part in ensuring sustainability, which is achieved due to its simple design patterns easily understandable by developers. Moreover, it goes a long way in helping them develop and maintain apps in the long run. If you were to outsource your project to another Ruby on Rails Development company, you would have everything covered.
- Ruby on Rails is Very Flexible
- With Ruby on Rails eCommerce, developers can look after their apps easily and make changes whenever required. However, given its architecture, developers can quickly sort out any errors and make changes.
- In case they want to use any other programming language to add new features, that is also very achievable without compromising on the app quality.
- Availability of Multiple Tools and Resources
- The availability of highly popular eCommerce store creation tools like Shopify Plus that are open-source has also contributed to the popularity of Ruby on Rails as a web app development framework.
- The cherry on top is another large range of resources and toolsets to enhance the web app development process by Ruby on Rails.
Types of Ruby on Rails Web Development for eCommerce Businesses
Following are some of the popular types of ECommerce platforms with Ruby on Rails:
- Business to Business(B2B)
- This is a business model where a Ruby on Rails development company essentially offers RoR web application development services to other businesses and not directly to the end customers.
- Business to Consumer(B2C)
- These are the eCommerce websites where the entire experience revolves around offering the end consumers a great way of shopping. The end consumers can directly purchase the products on such eCommerce sites and have control over the complete purchase process.
- Subscription-based Model
- This is an eCommerce model where the products are not for sale but are offered on a subscription model/basis.
- This is a possible model because of the flexibility that RoR offers.
- In the B2B2C business model, a business sells its offerings to businesses and direct customers, where one of the businesses serves as an intermediary between the two. The best example of this model is affiliate marketing.
When we talk about Ruby on Rails, the above reasons are more than enough to justify the kind of advantages on offer. Couple the popularity with constant support and a healthy community of developers, and there are a lot of positives to look forward to when you compare it with other frameworks out in the market.
If you have an eCommerce store idea that you wish to get developed, Ruby on Rails is the development framework to choose.
What cannot be denied is that with its use in the right kind direction, you can get a clutter-free and robust eCommerce store up and running in no time. In addition, BoTree Technologies has been offering class-leading Ruby on Rails web development services that are not just products with a fancy interface but also provide functionality that sets them apart.