Restoring backups within Quickbooks is a simple process and involves only several steps. If you are updating Quickbooks or do any other task it is essential to create a backup in order that you don’t lose any information. Once you’ve completed the update, you’ll be required to restore the backup data file. Sometimes, you may encounter an error that states Quickbooks cannot restore the backup, or Quickbooks restore was unsuccessful. There are many reasons that can cause the cause that cause this issue. The error can occur when trying to restore files from backup that you created previously. This article we’re going to go over the various reasons you may encounter the error “Restore Backup Failed” and the best way to resolve it in a simple manner. Keep reading to get all the information you need about the restore backup error.
Reasons for the QuickBooks Restore Backup Failed Error
Before you begin the procedure of fixing the issue, it’s important to understand what is causing the Quickbooks restore backup failure error. Check out the following list:
- The most commonly cited cause is because the Quickbooks file you are trying to restore has been damaged.
- Another reason could be that the backup you’re trying to restore has already been backup in the document you are using.
- There is also an Quickbooks backup restore error if there’s a special character that is present in the file’s name.
- If you attempt to restore the Quickbooks backup file using the USB drive, you may be faced with the error.
- It is possible to encounter an Quickbooks backup restore failure error when your version of Quickbooks isn’t the same as the restore file.
Troubleshooting Methods for QuickBooks Restore Backup Failed Error
Below, we have provided options you can try for fixing this QuickBooks restore error. Follow the steps carefully to avoid any mistakes and complications.
Take out all the special characters in the name of the File
the first method is to be sure there aren’t any special characters on the title of the backup file. Follow the steps outlined:
- In the beginning, you need to determine the exact location of the folder which you’ve stored the company’s file.
- Within the directory, you need click on the backup file you created, and then choose the option to change the name of the backup file.
- It is then necessary to eliminate any special characters in the file’s name and save it.
- After you have finished, verify whether you can restore your backup, or not.
Check the Version of the QuickBooks
The second option is to verify you’re using the exact version of Quickbooks that is in that Quickbooks Backup file. You can look up the version of Quickbooks with this Quickbooks File Manager to verify the details of the software. If you’re not using the latest version, you may want to update it.
Check If It a True Backup
The second step is to ensure your backup backup that you are using is the correct backup file. Follow the steps outlined:
- To verify if it’s genuine copy or not you’re required to verify how big your Quickbooks file. Its size must not be less than 6MB.
- It is required to visit the place where you saved the backup file. Then, you’ll need to click on the file.
- You are now required to open the properties section of the file.
- In this case, you need examine whether the size of the backup file is 6MB or not.
- If not the case, you’ll be required to make a backup file for the company’s file.
Restore the QuickBooks
The next step will be to restore the Quickbooks file by using the rebuild tool. Follow the steps as outlined:
- The initial step to take is navigate to the File menu within Quickbooks.
- Once you have done that, you be required to click on the utility option, then select the option to rebuild data.
- Then it will begin the rebuilding process.
- Once you have finished, you are required to navigate back into the File menu and select the utility option.
- Then, you’ll need to select the verify the data option.
- Be patient until the process is completed.
Read more: QuickBooks Restore Failed
Avoid Overwriting the File
The second method is to prevent overwriting on the data that is already in place. Follow the steps outlined:
- In the beginning, you’ll need to visit the place in which you’ve stored you backup data.
- Be sure the area is easy to access.
- Now, you must make sure you choose No to be asked if you want to overwrite the file that is already in use.
- The next step is to restore the backup by using the latest file. Then, examine if you encounter the same issue.
We hope that the techniques we have discussed and discussed above will assist you fix this Quickbooks restore backup error. We believe that each of methods mentioned will prove beneficial to you, and we hope this article may have been helpful to you. If you’re still experiencing problems with QuickBooks, then contact the QuickBooks help desk and they’ll assist you solve your issues quickly and efficiently.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q.1 How do I back up the QuickBooks backup?
Answer Answer Follow the steps below to recover QuickBooks Backup:
- Click on the File menu within QuickBooks and select Open and then Restore Company.
- After that, you can select Restore an existing backup copy
- Select Local Backup, then select Next.
- Find your computer to find an archive file.
- To select the location you want to save your restored company file, choose the appropriate folder.
Q.2 Which is where the QuickBooks backup file?
AnswerThis backup is stored in QuickBooks in your computer, in an area called “Auto Backup” under the QuickBooks directory.
Q.3 Does QuickBooks backup automatically?
Answer Answer Yes you can set up an automatic backup instead of performing it manually.
Q.4 – How do I download QuickBooks Backup?
Answer Answer Follow the steps below for downloading QuickBooks Backup:
- Visit the File menu within QuickBooks and select Open and then Restore Company.
- Then, select Restore the backup copy
- Choose Local Backup.
- Click Next.
- Look on your computer for your backup files.
- To decide where you want to save your restored company file, choose an appropriate folder.
Q.5 Do I need to back up my files using QuickBooks Online?
Answer Answer Because QuickBooks Online is able to automatically backups your information with the same security that banks and financial institutions, you don’t need to be concerned about keeping your QuickBooks information on flash drives.
Read more: This Company File Needs to be updated